Listed Buildings

The Historical Village of Kinver holds many listed buildings both within the heart ofthe village and surrounding area.

We have compiled a list of known buildings and where possible given details on its “listed” status for those that like the technical historic facts.


Ye Olde White Harte

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (South-west side)
SO 8483-8583
15/89 Ye Olde White Harte (formerly
16.6.53 listed as White Hart Hotel)
Inn. C17 remodelling of an earlier, possibly medieval house with C19
alterations. Red brick, painted white to front and partly rendered; plain
tile roof with raised verges; brick ridge stacks. L-shaped plan, principal
range aligned north-west/south-east facing north-east, and rear wing to the
south-east aligned north-east/south-west. 2 storeys with first floor band;
3:1 gabled bays, the 3 main bays to the left each have 2 windows to the first
floor and one to the ground floor, C19 casements with segmental heads;
slightly lower right hand projecting gable has one segmental-headed case-
ment to each floor. Roughly central door with concave semi-circular hood
on brackets. To the right hand gable end is an exposed roof truss with a
single vertical strut between tie beam and collar, probably C15.
Listing NGR: SO8455183347


Ye Olde Grammar School

KINVER C.P. DARK LANE (north side)
SO 8483-8583
15/75 Ye Olde Grammar School
(formerly listed as “Old
16.6.53 Grammar School House”)
House. Late C16 incorporating some earlier fragments, with a major extension of
the 1830s; restored in the 1970s. Timber framed with a brick extension rendered
and lined as ashlar; plain tile roof, hipped to the right, and slate roofed
extension; brick ridge stacks. C16 L-shaped plan; principal range aligned east-
west facing south and rear wing to the west aligned north-south; 1830s wing to
the east aligned north-south. C16 main house to the left, gabled 1830s wing to
the right. Main house: 2 storeys and gable-lit attic with continuous first floor
jetty and jettied attic gables; uninterrupted close studding to all floors. 2
bays, C20 wood mullioned windows on cyma reversa brackets, small 4-pane casements
to first floor centre. Central 4-panel door within original frame with gabled
wrought iron porch, approached by a flight of brick steps; a curved tension brace
extends from the right-hand side of the door frame to the sill beam. Extension
wing: 2 storeys; one bay glazing bar sashes. V.C.H. Vol XX (1984) pp. 158-9.
Listing NGR: SO8485383174


Willow Hill

15/107 Willow Hill
House. Early C18 with later alterations and additions. Red brick;
plain tile roof with raised verges; brick central stack. Baffle-entry
plan. 2 storeys and attic with storey bands; 3 bays, C20 casements within
original openings with gauged brick heads, 2 gabled attic dormers. Central
C20 door approached by a flight of C20 brick steps. Single-storey lean-to
extension to the right with door, in front of a 2 storey extension with
corner pilaster strip and crenllated parapet. Single-storey extension to
the right with C20 door and window and crenellated parapet. Interior not
Listing NGR: SO8448083345


Whittington Old House

KINVER C.P. HORSE BRIDGE LANE (South side) side)
SO 88 SE
11/93 Whittington Old House
(formerly listed as Nos
11.6.73 71-73 (consecutive)
House. Late C17, partly rebuilt in the C18. Timber framed with brick
infill partly replaced in red brick; plain tile roof; brick stacks behind
ridge. Front range aligned east-west facing north, 2 rear wings aligned
north-south. One storey and attic; sandstone plinth and dentilled eaves
band. 2 windows, casements with segmental heads, gabled attic dormers.
Central 6-panel door with segmental head approached by a flight of steps.
Exposed timber framing to each gable end, small rectangular panels and
straight tension braces, raking strut roof trusses.
Listing NGR: SO8547582828


Whittington Inn

SO 88 SE
11/108 Whittington Inn
House now inn. Late C16 rebuilding of a medieval house with later
alterations. Timber framing of small square panels with straight braces
and tension braces, painted brick infill and some brick repairwork; plain
tile roof; brick ridge stack with lozenge section shafts, and brick integral
end stack. 2 parallel ranges of 4 framed bays (including an entrance
passage) aligned east-west facing south; early C19 additions included a
north range on the same alignment and a wing at the north-east corner
aligned north-south. 2 storeys and attic, 4 windows, C20 latticed case-
ments, gables to right and to left of centre, and between the 2 gables a 2-
storey gabled porch with a wide segmental entrance arch. Twin timber
framed gables to both ends. Interior: C16 nail studded front door
constructed of vertical boards on one side and horizontal boards on the
other, large strap hinges and ovolo-moulded surround. In the entrance
passage a pointed doorway, C14/C15, a remnant of the medieval house and
possibly in situ at the north end of the former cross passage. In the
front room to the west is an open fireplace, backing on to the entrance
passage, with timber bresummer; C17 wall panelling to the north wall;
a spine beam covered in C17 decorative plasterwork and a C17 straight
staircase with closed string and turned balusters, at the top of the
staircase is an early C18 balustrade.
Listing NGR: SO8568582823


Whittington Hall

SO 88 SE
11/109 Whittington Hall (formerly
16.6.53 listed as Whittington
Farmhouse. Early C18. Red brick; plain tile roofs; brick ridge
stack. Aligned north-south facing west, rear wings aligned east-west.
2 storeys with first floor band and plain parapet. 7 x 2 bays, 18-pane
glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads. Central door with gabled
hood on brackets. Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest.
Listing NGR: SO8584382597


The Gate House & Attached Walls & Gate Piers

SO 88 SE
11/101 The Gate House and attached
walls and gate piers
Lodge, walls and gate piers. 1838. Red brick; brick stack with
octagonal shaft and crenellated cap. Castellated Gothic style; roughly
L-shaped lodge. 2 storey octagonal tower with bold parapet string and
crenellated parapet; glazing bar casements with returned hood moulds,
those to the first floor are continuous. Attached brick walls with cast
iron coping splay outwards to the road. To the right of the lodge are a
4-centred pedestrian gateway and a pair of square gate piers with acorn
finials. To the rear the octagonal tower is linked by a porch to a square
tower with attached wall, which in turn, links the lodge to the coach house
and stable block (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SO8581784880


The Fox Inn

SO 88 NW
The Fox Inn
Inn. Early C19. Red brick painted white; plain tile roof with coped
verges; brick integral end stacks. Aligned north-east/south-west facing
south-east. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic with dentilled eaves band. 3
windows, 16-pane glazing bar sashes with stepped lintels grooved as voussoirs.
Central half-glazed door with gabled hood.
Listing NGR: SO8416785317


Tailbridge, Stourton Lock Number 2

SO 88 NE
9/10008 Tail Bridge, Stourton Lock
no 2
Tailbridge. Early 19. Smallfootbridge over bottom oflock. Cast iron
cantilevered arched panels with a central gap. Brick footings. Deck
resurfaced. Known as a split bridge, which allowed tow rope to remain
attached to the boat.
Listing NGR: SO8639085130


Sugar Loaf Farmhouse

(South-east side)
Sugar Loaf Farmhouse
The list description should be amended to read:-
Farmhouse. Late C18 with early C19 alterations. Red brick; plain tile roof
with raised verges; brick integral end stack. Aligned north-east/south-west
facing south-east. 3 storeys with dentilled eaves band, reduced proportions
to second floor. 3 bays, 16-pane glazing bar sashes with raised and moulded
surrounds. Central half-glazed door with rectangular overlight. North-west
front: C18 casements with segmental heads.
Interior: Contains contemporary stick baluster staircase which goes through
3 storeys around open well. Most of the fire places have been removed but
the building retains its beams and most of its doors and shutters.
  Listing NGR: SO8806681886


Stourton House

SO 88 NE
9/78 Stourton House
Farmhouse now house. Early C18 with C20 alterations and additions. Red
and blue brick; plain tile roof with raised verges; brick valley stacks.
2 parallel ranges aligned north-south facing east. C20 additions to the
south. 2 storeys and attic with dentilled eaves band and gabled central
bay. 3 windows, C20 casements in C18 openings with segmental heads,
central attic lunette. Central C20 glazed door with keyed segmental head.
C20 single-storey, flat roofed extension to the left.
Listing NGR: SO8550285144


Stourton Farmhouse

SO 88 NE
9/79 Stourton Farmhouse
Farmhouse now house. Mid-C18, front wall rebuilt late-C19, C20 additions.
Red brick; plain tile roof with coped verges; brick external end stacks
with twin shafts and oversailing caps. T-shaped plan, principal range
aligned north-south facing east with staircase wing to the rear aligned
east-west; the house now faces west. East front: 2 storeys and attic
with dentilled eaves band; 2 windows, tripartite glazing bar sashes with
horns and segmental heads; 2 gabled dormers; corner pilaster strips.
Central blocked doorway. Projecting single-storey gabled extension to
the right with end stack and segmental-headed casement; segmental headed
door to left hand return. Gable ends of principal range have storey bands
and small glazing bar casements with flat arches. Sympathetic C20
extensions to the west including a gabled porch. Interior: C18 staircase
with moulded handrail, closed string and tapering balusters on moulded
Listing NGR: SO8563585569


Stourton Castle

SO 88 SE
11/102 Stourton Castle (formerly
listed under Bridgenorth Road)
Large house on the site of a medieval castle. The house incorporates
some late Medieval and C16 works but was remodelled and partly rebuilt in
1832-33 in a late Gothic style by James Foster from designs by Sir Robert
Smirke. Red brick; plain tile roofs with shaped gables; brick stacks.
Main front of 1832-3 to the west, incorporating a late Medieval gate tower;
C16 ranges to the north, south and east enclose the other 3 sides of a
formerly open courtyard which was roofed over by Foster. West front:
2 storeys with moulded brick parapet band and plain parapet. 1:3:1 bays;
central range recessed between flanking gabled wings, mullioned and transomed
casements with raised surrounds, windows of central range have small gables
over with psuedo-arrow slits matching those of the wings. Central 3 storey
gate-tower with moulded off-sets and crenellated parapet; rendered and
lined as ashlar; pointed entrance with moulded surround, second storey
window has 2 trefoil-headed lights under a segmental pointed arch. In
the re-entrant angles between central range and flanking wings are diagonally
placed 2-storey bays with parapets and windows of 2 round-headed lights;
the left hand bay has a 4-centred doorway. Interior: totally remodelled
1832-3. Plaster fan vaulted entrance with figure corbels; the courtyard
is now an entrance hall with Tudor-style stone fireplace. V.C.H. Vol. XX (1984),
pp. 130-2.
Listing NGR: SO8592284931


Stourbridge Canal Stourton Lock Number 1

SO 88 NE
9/10010 Stourton Lock No 1
Lock. Late C18. Brick chamber with diamond pattern engineering brick and some stone copings.
Single timber top gate with gate and ground paddles. Double timber bottom gates with gate paddles.
Timber balance beams. Stone dressed brick wing walls. Towpath side tail steps.
Listing NGR: SO8656485210


Stourbridge Canal Pair of Locks at junction with Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal

SO 88 NE
9/100 Pair of locks at junction
with Staffordshire and
Worcestershire Canal
Pair of canal locks. Late C18 with later repairs. Brick with stone coping.
The Stourbridge canal opened through the area in 1779 to join the
Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal near Stewponey Wharf.
Listing NGR: SO8621885116


The following building was de-listed on 20th August 1998.

Statue at Ngr So 85958492

SO 88 SE
SO 85958492
11/105 Statue at N.G.R. SO 85958492
Grade II
Statue. Mid-C19. Stone. Statue of Bacchus and dog on a circular
pedestal, in the grounds of Stourton Castle (q.v.). –
Listing NGR: SO8592784914


Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal Toll House at Stewponey Lock

SO 88 SE
11/98 Toll house at Stewponey
Canal toll house. Early C19. Painted brick; hipped slate roof;
central brick stack with octagonal shaft. Octagonal plan. One storey;
semi-circular arched recesses to the sides containing door to west and
fixing light glazing bar windows with intersecting Gothic tracery.
Listing NGR: SO8615284863


Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal, Pair of Houses at Stewponey Lock

SO 88 SE
11/99 Pair of houses at
Stewponey Lock
Pair of houses. Early to mid-C19. Painted brick; plain tile and
interlocking tile roofs; brick central stack. Aligned north-south
facing west. Principal 2-storey, 3-bay house to left; casements with
stepped lintels grooved as voussoirs. Central glazed door with wooden
architrave and cornice hood. 3-storey, single-bay attached house set-
back to the right; glazing bar sashes. Central door with wooden door-
case and cornice hood.
Listing NGR: SO8616284900


Spittlebrook Mill Farmhouse

SO 88 NW
8/98 Spittlebrook Mill Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid to late C18. Red brick (flemish bond); plain tile roof; brick
stacks. 3 storeys, reduced proportions to second floor. 3 bays: 16-pane glazing
bar sashes with gauged brick heads central windows blind. Central panelled
door with plastered and pedimented doorcase containing a fanlight with Gothic
glazing bars. Casements and a tall stair window to the rear.
Listing NGR: SO8449887753



KINVER 1576/0/10018 DARK LANE
17-JUL-01 Rockmount
House. Circa 1840. Stuccoed, lined as ashlar; painted brick rear wing. Slate 2-span roof with gabled ends with ornate pierced bargeboards. Stuccoed stacks with cornices and square yellow clay pots.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front with two gables with ornate pierced bargeboards and pendants, centre recessed with moulded string over moulded 4-centred arch doorway with panelled and glazed double doors and fanlight; windows have hoodmoulds, centre first floor sash with glazing bars with margin panes, blind to left and right. 2-window right-hand return, sashes with glazing bars and hoodmoulds, ground floor left a French casement. Similar left return, but 3-windows and two French casements on ground floor, all with hoodmoulds. Panelled and glazed rear door. Rear wing has multi-pane cast-iron windows.
INTERIOR not inspected, but is believed to have original features.
An example of an early Victorian stuccoed villa, complete with many original features.
Listing NGR: SO8492783184



KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (North-east side)
15/84 No. 21 (Riverside)
House. Early to mid-C19. Red brick; plain tile roof; brick central
stack. 2 storeys with dentilled cornice; 3 windows, glazing bar sashes
with fluted segmental lintels. Central 6-panel door with engaged columns
and entablature. Single-storey, single-bay wing attached to the left, with
4-panel door and sash window. Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SO8465783300


Old Windmill

KINVER C.P. MILL LANE (South side)
SO 88 NW
8/97 Old Windmill
Windmill base. C18. Red brick, partly rendered. 3 storeys with
timber wall plate surmounted by fragments of machinery. Doors to east
and west; square window openings. Interior gutted and roof gone.
Listing NGR: SO8451787664


Mile Post

SO 88 NW
8/68 Milepost at N.G.R. 84138540
Milepost. Late C19. Cast iron. Triangular section with chamfered top.
Top face: “To LONDON / 123 / MILES” Left hand face: “STOUR / BRIDGE /
4”. Right hand face: “TO / BRID / 10 1/2”.
Listing NGR: SO8414585424


Midshires Building Society

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (North-east side)
SO 8483-8583
15/87 No. 38 (Midshires Building
Society) and No. 39
House, now divided into two and used partly for offices. Early C18 with
C19 alterations. Red brick; plain tile roof with raised verges; brick
stacks behind t he roof line. 2 storeys and attic with storey bands and
eaves band. 5 bays; early C19 glazing bar sashes and casements within
original surrounds with segmental heads; 3 gabled attic dormers. Central
6-panelled door with dished semi-circular pediment hood on brackets,
flanked by a pair of Victorian shop fronts. Interior: the remains of a
dog leg staircase with turned balusters extend from first floor to attic.
Listing NGR: SO8455583382


Malthouse Attached to the Rear of Numbers 28 & 29

SO 8483-8583
15/85A Malthouse attached
to rear of Ros 28
and 29
Malthouse, circa 1816. Brick with clay tile roof. Glazed windows on east elevation,
boarded ventilation openings beneath eaves. 3 Floors. Roof structure incorporates
upper base-cruck trusses and remains of machinery on upper floor.
Listing NGR: SO8461583349


Kinver House

15/72 Kinver House
House. Late C18, remodelled circa 1900. Brick, painted white; slate
roof; brick integral end stacks and off-ridge stack to the rear. 2
storeys and gable-lit attic; 2 full height canted bay windows with storey
bands and dentilled cornices flanking a central recessed bay; 8-pane
glazing bar sashes with horns in a 3:2:3 rhythm. Central pedimented porch
with keyed semi-circular arch flanked by fluted columns; inside a C20
panelled door and fanlight with radiating glazing bars.
Listing NGR: SO8488083146


K6 Telephone Kiosk
15/108 K6 Telephone Kiosk
Telephone kiosk. Type K6. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by
various contractors. Cast iron. Square kiosk with domed roof. Unperforated
crowns to top panels and margin glazing to windows and door.
Listing NGR: SO8460983314


Holbein House

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (North-east side)
SO 8483-8583
15/86 Nos 30 & 31 (Holbein House)
House incorporating shops. C15, extended late C17, restored mid to late C20 by
John Smith of Kinver. Timber framed; plain tile roof. Framing: closely spaced
studs to the front, large rectangular panels to the rear; the studs are secured
by a single peg at each end; C17 extension has small square panels and a tension
brace. T-shaped plan. The C15 range of 2 framed bays is parallel to the street;
it has a chimney stack on the north-west side of the central truss and an alleyway
at its south-east end from which a door once led into the south-east bay. To the
rear is a C17 single-bay wing. 2 Storeys; the upper floor is jettied, a moulded
jetty beam being morticed on to the ends of the joists. 2 Bays, C20 five-light
wood mullioned windows to first floor; 2 C20 plate glass shop fronts to ground
floor each with a glazed door. Boarded door to right giving access to the alleyway.
Interior: chamfered and stopped spine beam and joists laid flat. 3 C15 queen
strut roof trusses with curved windbraces; late C17 interrupted tie beam truss
With V-struts above the collar.
Listing NGR: SO8459083352


Holland House

1576/9/95 Holland House (formerly
listed as The Beaches)
Farmhouse, now house. Late C17, remodelled and extended circa 1840. Red brick (Flemish bond); plain tile roof with shaped gables; brick central stack with 4 square section shafts. Principal range aligned north-south facing west with 2 rear wings aligned east-west; C19 additions to the east of these wings. WEST FRONT: 2 storeys; 3 bays, C19 casements with wooden mullions and raised plaster surrounds. Central gabled break of circa 1840 with blind rectangular loop in the shaped gable, and at ground level a stone bench with shaped brackets on piers supporting a hipped roof. SOUTH FRONT: gable end of main range to left with attached rear wing to which has been added a C19 single-storey porch with shaped gable and rounded entrance arch. Two C 19 gabled extension wings to the right. NORTH FRONT: gable-end of front range to the right with attached rear wing, the former has small blocked windows with gauged brick heads. Gabled C 19 extension to the left has cast iron casements with patterned glazing bars.
Listing NGR: SO8705886537

Former Coach House & Stables Mounting Block & Horse Trough Approx 20 yrds North of Brin

SO 88 SW
Former coach house and stables,
mounting block and horse trough
approx 20 yards north of
27.6.63 Brindley Hall.(formerly listed
as stables at Brindley Hall)
Coach house and stables, mounting block and horse trough, now garage.
Late C18 with early C20 alterations. Red brick; hipped plain tile
roof. L-shaped plan; south range aligned east-west and east range
aligned north-south. South front: 2 storeys and loft with plinth
and dentilled eaves band. 3 bays; central pedimented bay with semi-
circular carriage arch springing from impost bands, flanked by pilaster
buttresses; ground floor recesses to left and right, each containing
a lunette with radiating glazing bars, 2 first floor casements, circular
oculus with radiating glazing bars to pediment. Stepped stone mounting
block to right of carriage arch and stone horse trough to left. East
front: 2 storeys; 3 bays, garage doors inserted to left with early C20
porte-cochere with cast iron columns and glazed roof; central carriage
arch, the upper part blocked, pediment over containing clock.
Listing NGR: SO8215584582


Foley Infants School House

KINVER C.P. ENVILLE ROAD (North-east side)
SO8483 – 8583
15/77 Foley Infants School and
7.5.74 School House
School and school house, now 2 houses. 1850. By Thomas Smith of Stourbridge.
Red brick with ashlar dressings; polychromatic slate roof with coped verges.
Aligned north-west/south-east facing south-west. Gothic style. School
to left, house attached to right. School. One storey on coped plinth.
About 5 bays, 3 central windows with segmental pointed heads and Geometric
tracery, each beneath a gable; the central gable has a bellcote. Flanking
2-leaf glazed doors. House: square tower of 2 storeys and attic to the
left with pyramidal roof; ground floor canted bay window with hipped roof,
2 segmental pointed windows to first floor, and one to attic with gable
over. Single-storey, single-bay wing to right with gabled attic dormer.
Listing NGR: SO8446783779


Dunsley Hall

SO 88 SE
11/76 Dunsley Hall
House. Late C16 with rebuilding and additions of the C17, C18 and C19;
external remodelling of the mid-C19. Timber framed core, outer walls
rebuilt in brick, brick additions; plain tile roof with raised verges;
brick ridge stacks. The house formerly consisted of a fully-floored
hall range aligned east-west facing south with parlour wing to the west
and service wing to the east both projecting north. The north side of
the courtyard so formed was enclosed by an early C18 range. A late C19
wing now occupies the site of the demolished service wing. 2 storeys;
2 gabled wings flank a 3-bay hall range with central C19 gabled porch.
Mid/late C19 wood mullioned windows with returned hood moulds, blind
lancet loop to the gable of each wing. 4-centred door with panelled
spandrels and returned hood mould. Interior: network of heavily moulded
ceiling beams to hall and parlour wing, ovolo and ogee mouldings.Exposed
timber framing of closely spaced studs and straight tension braces. C17
and C19 wall panelling; stone fireplace with 4-centred arch and heavily
moulded surround at east end of hall range. Late C19 staircase in a C17
style with perforated splat balusters and elborate newel finials. V.C.H.
Vol. XX (1984) pp. 134-5.
Listing NGR: SO8584284235


Dovecote South of Whittington Hall

SO 88 SE
Dovecote south of
11/110 Whittington Hall
(formerly listed as
Dovecote at
Whittington Hall
Dovecote. Medieval, with C18 addition. Red brick on high stone plinth;
conical plain-tile roof surmounted by a weathervane. Circular plan. Interior
not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO8583082567


Compton Hall Farmhouse

SO 88 SW
10/81 Compton Hall Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Early C18 with early C19 alterations and addition. Red
brick (English garden wall bond); plain tile roof; brick external end
stacks. T-shaped plan; principal range aligned north-west/south-east
facing south-west, rear wing aligned north-east/south-west; early C19
extension occupies the northern re-entrant angle between principal range
and rear wing, 2 storeys and attic with floor bands. 3 windows, early
C19 sixteen-pane glazing bar sashes with wedge shaped pilaster lintels,
2 gabled attic dormers. Central C19 6-panel door, the upper 2 panels
glazed, wooden doorcase and triangular hood. Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO8140184256


Coach House & Stable Block & Attached Walls at Stourton Castle

SO 88 SE
11/104 Coach house and stable
block and attached walls
at Stourton Castle
Coach house and stable block. Early to mid-C19 with C20 alterations.
Red brick; hipped plain tile roof. The building encloses the south,
east and west sides of a central courtyard which was entered from the
south. South front: central 2-storey block with moulded parapet band
to plain parapet, and flanking wings of one storey and attic. Roughly
3:3:3 bays. Central block has a central 4-centred carriage arch and C20
casements. Left hand wing has a blocked carriage arch flanked by a pair
of segmental arched doors; glazing bar sashes and attic dormer to the
right with hipped roof and casement. Right hand wing has a segmental arched
door, 3 segmental arched windows and a C20 casement to the left with dormer
above. Courtyard: central south range with east and west ranges returning
to left and right. South range: 2 storey central block with moulded
parapet band to plain parapet, and flanking wings of one storey and attic
lit by skylights. 2:3:2 bays, glazing bar sashes. Central 4-centred
carriage arch with circular window above within a square panel, and a pair
of flanking 4-centred arch doors with overlights. C20 porch set diagonally
in the left hand corner of the yard. East (left hand) range: one storey
and loft; 2:1:2 bays, central break with shaped gable, 4-centred arch and
circular boarded opening above. To the left are 2 smaller carriage arches;
the right hand side has been subject to considerable C20 alteration and now
has one first and 2 ground floor casements and a porch in the right hand
corner (see above). West (right hand) range: one storey and loft; 2:1:2
bays, central break with shaped gable and 4-centred carriage arch with
circular boarded loft opening above. To each side a 4-centred arch door
flanked by glazing bar sashes. Garden walls are attached to the north-west
and south-west angles; the latter links the coach house and stables to the
Gatehouse (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SO8583784929



KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (South-west side)
So 8483-8583
15/92 No. 126 (Cliffside) (formerly
listed as Cliffside)
House. Early C18. Painted brick; plain tile roof with raised verges;
brick integral end stacks. 3 storeys with giant angle pilasters and moulded
eaves cornice, reduced proportions to second floor. 1:1:1 bays, central
pedimented break with blind quatrefoil to pediment; glazing bar sashes with
keyed lintels, the ground floor windows have external shutters. Central
6-panelled door, the upper 2 panels glazed, with panelled and eared archi-
trave, and bracketed pediment. Interior: massive kitchen fireplace with
keyed segmental arch; late C19 staircase with turned balusters.
Listing NGR: SO8467783262


Clifford Cottage

KINVER C.P. CHURCH HILL (South-west side)
15/69 Clifford Cottage (Previously
16.6.53 listed as “Clifford House”)
House. C17. Timber framed with painted brick infill; plain tile roof;
brick integral end stacks. Aligned north-west/south-east, now entered from
the south-west but formerly from the north-west gable end. One storey and
attic, closely spaced studs to ground storey,and above, 2 small square
panels to eaves; 2 windows, C20 latticed casements, 2 gabled dormers. Right
hand gable has a queen strut roof truss and a blocked door, left hand gable
has V-struts above the collar; straight braces to the gable ends and corner
posts with angular jowels.
Listing NGR: SO8478783189


Church of St Peter

15/71 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Mainly early C14, incorporating some C12 fragment s from
an earlier church; substantial mid-C15 extensions; restored 1884-5 by
G.G. and J.O. Scott; north aisle rebuilt 1976. Dressed stone blocks;
plain tile roofs with coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses.
4-bay nave with side aisles and south porch, 2-bay aisled chancel. West
tower: mid-C14. 4 stages marked by moulded strings, and crenellated
parapet. Pointed west door of 2 chamfered orders with returned hood mould;
above is a pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery and a hood mould.
The north and south sides of the third stages each have a trefoil headed
loop with sunken spandrels. 2-light pointed belfry openings with
reticulated tracery. Nave: at the junction with the south aisle to the
west is a C12 pilaster buttress. North aisle: 1975-6. By John Greaves
Smith of Kinver. The bay division buttresses are flanked by tall loops,
horizontal strip windows at eaves level, dormer with hipped roof to the
left. South aisle: early C14, extended to the east by a single bay in the
mid-C15 to form the Grey Chapel. Buttresses at the bay divisions. Pointed
C14 windows of 3 lights with Decorated tracery; the windows of the east bay
have Tudor arches and cinquefoil headed lights. Door of circa 1856-7 on
the south side of the east bay, restored in the C20. Gabled south porch
of circa 1380 with a C20 eastern extension :4-centred arch opening with an
inner chamfered order and an outer quarter round moulded order. Inside,
a pointed door to the south aisle of 2 quarter round moulded orders.
Chancel: pointed east window of 5 cinquefoil headed lights and panel
tracery;in the angle between the Grey Chapel and the chancel is the entrance
to a staircase which led to a vestry beneath the sanctuary. This rom is
lit to the east by 3 rectangular windows at ground level. North chancel
aisle: (The Foley Chapel). In existence by 1472 when its founder
John Hampton was buried here. 3 windows to the north and one to the east
all of similar character to those of the eastern bay of the south aisle.
In the centre of the north side is a mid-C19 door with Tudor arch, partly
blocking the central window. Interior: C14 south arcade, and north
arcade of 1856-7 by Thomas Smith of Stourbridge. Both have octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders.
The easternmost column of the south arcade has the inscription “THO /
PIXELL / WILL / BANNISTER / 1671 / CHUR WARDENS”. C14 pointed tower arch
of 3 chamfered orders springing from engaged octagonal columns with moulded
capitals. High pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from engaged
octagonal columns. Immediately north of the chancel are the remains of a
newel staircase leading to a door with semi-circular arch which probably
communicated with a former rood loft. Over the nave is an early C14 common
rafter roof with double collars; the lower collars are arch braced. Over
the south aisle a collar rafter roof with straight braces, C14 or C15.
C15 north chancel arcade with four-centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered
orders springing from cylindrical columns with moulded caps and bases.
The south arcade has pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders springing from
octagonal columns with moulded capitals, C14 and C15, restored and
strengthened to the south by massive C19 brick arches. C15 arch-braced
collar rafter roof of 4-centred section over the chancel. C15 panelled
roof of 4-centred section over the north chancel aisle. C14 sedilia and
piscina at the east end of the C14 south aisle, all with ogee arches.
Fittings: late C14 stone font with elaborate tracery patterns. Hexagonal
oak pulpit with balustraded steps; dated 1623 but heavily restored in 1903.
Late C17 oak communion rail with richly carved balusters. Panelled oak
reredos with fluted Ionic pilasters and panelled side walls to sanctuary.
Organ of 1901 in south aisle. Monuments: The Grey Chapel: chest tomb
of Sir Edward Grey (d. 1528) with incised brasses of Sir Edward, his wife
and children. Large tablet to William Talbot (d. 1686) with segmental
pediment capped by an urn. Tablet to Dorothy and Edward Hillman (d. 1722
and 1727) with broken semi-circular pediment. The Foley Chapel: mutilated
C15 recumbant effigy of a knight reputed to be that of John Hampton (d. 1472),
the founder of the chapel. Architectural tablet to John Hodgetts (d. 1789).
2 urns within an aedicule formed by 2 short thick unfluted Doric columns and
a heavy pediment. Chancel: tablet to Eliza Crawshaw (d. 1813), capped by
an obelisk with palm tree motif. Nave: tablet to John and Ann Comber
(d. 1732 and 1751). South aisle: large First World War memorial incorp-
orating a statue of St. George. Stained glass: east window of circa 1849
showing scenes from the life of Jesus, 2 early C20 windows in the south aisle.
Listing NGR: SO8461683049


Church Hill House & Attached former Coach House, Gates & Railings

15/70 Church Hill House and attached
former coach house, gates and
railings (formerly listed as
Church Hill House)
House, coach house, gates and railings. Early C18 with early Cl9
alterations and addition. Red brick; hipped slate roof. Formerly 2
parallel ranges aligned north-south facing east with attached former coach
house at the north-east corner, also aligned north-south facing east. 3
storeys, reduced proportions to second floor, plain parapet with moulded
coping; giant corner pilasters with triglyphs, not including uppermost
storey. 5 windows, 18-pane glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads,
raised and fluted keys and moulded sills. Central 6-panel door with
Ionic pilasters, moulded cornice hood and fanlight with radiating glazing
bars. Former coach house to right. 2 storeys; 2 bays, first floor
windows have semi-circular heads, 2 garage doors to ground floor. Wrought
iron gates and railings enclose a small forecourt at the front of the main
Listing NGR: SO8485083069


Chapel & Terrace Retaining Walls at Stourton Castle

SO 88 SE
11/103 Chapel and terrace
retaining walls at Stourton
Chapel and retaining walls. Early to mid-C19 incorporating some earlier
material. Red brick with stone dressings. The walls support the terrace
around Stourton Castle (q.v.) on the north, south and east sides, and a
causeway which approaches the castle from the north; the chapel is beneath
the south-east angle of the terrace. South-side: stepped buttresses,
projecting parapet band and plain coped parapet. The wall is terminated
to the left by a squat circular pier with conical cap and ball finial.
The Chapel to the right has a central pointed door flanked by a pair of
pointed windows with leaded glass; small loop to the left. Interior:
a wooden door, probably C15/16 reputed to have come from the gate tower to
Stourton Castle (q.v.). Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SO8594684926


Brindley Hall

SO 88 SW
10/66 Brindley Hall
House. Late C18 with early and late C19 additions. Red brick; slate
roof; brick stacks. Aligned east-west facing south with extensions to
the rear and to the south-west angle. 3 storey with corbelled eaves cornice.
1:1:1 bays; central break; 2-storey canted bay windows to left and right,
each of 3 lights divided by pilasters; plate glass sashes to ground floor,
otherwise glazing bar sashes, central windows have raised architraves.
Bracketed sill to first floor and cornice hood to second floor; second
floor windows to left and right have segmental lintels and fluted keys;
first floor sill band. Central C19 semi-octagonal porch; flanking plate
glass sashes with gauged brick heads and pedimented and pilastered door-
case with 6-panelled 2-leaf door and fanlight with traceried glazing bars;
corbelled cornice; surmounted by a statue of an eagle. Late C19 single-
storey polygonal extension with hipped roof to the left. East front: 3
storeys; 4 windows, glazing bar sashes with segmental lintels and first
floor still band.
Listing NGR: SO8216184537


Barns, Cartshed, Stables & Outbuildings emmediatley East of The Beeches

SO 88 NE
9/96 Barns, cartshed, stables
and outbuildings immediately
east of The Beeches
16.11.83 (formerly listed as “Barns
and outbuildings at Yewtree
Barns, cartshed, stables and outbuildings. Mid-C19. Brick; plain tile
roofs. Ranged around a rectangular courtyard. North-east range: single-
storey barn to the right with full height carriage entrance and tiers of air
vents to each side. Lofted stable to the left with 3 ground floor windows
flanking 2 doors, all have cambered heads, 2 square and 2 circular loft
windows. Left-hand loft doorway approached by a flight of brick steps.
South-east range: single-storey barn to left with carriage arch and tiers
of air vents to each side. Single-storey stables to right with 2 doorways
and 2 square windows with cambered heads. South-west range: 5 bay cart-
shed. Other outbuildings and walls make up the quadrangle. These
buildings were in a derelict and dangerous condition at time of resurvey.
(May 1986). Included for~group~value.
Listing NGR: SO8710286509


Barns immediately North West of Union Hall Farmhouse

SO 88 sw
side), Compton
10/168 Barn immediately NW of
Union Hall Farmhouse
Barn. Circa 1800. Red brick; plain tile roof with Dutch gables. 4-bay range
cligned north-south. One storey; full height barn doorways to right and to
left of centre, the latter retains its 3-centred arch; air vents in between
the doorways comprising lozenge patterns; central stable-type door, similar
barn doorways on the west side. Interior in roof trusses of circa 1800.
Listing NGR: SO8221984738


Barn Approx 20 yrds North West of Stourton House Farm

SO 88 NE
9/80 Barn approx. 20 yards north-
15.3.83 west of Stourton Farmhouse
Barn. Late C18. Red brick; plain tile roof with crow stepped gables.
L-shaped; principal range aligned north-south facing east, south-east wing
aligned east-west. One storey barn and lofted wing. Central full height
barn doors; gabled wing to left with segmental-headed loft door and flanking
fixed light windows; tiers of air vents to right of barn doors. Interior:
4 pegged king-post roof trusses carrying 2 pairs of purlins.
Listing NGR: SO8562285587


Annex Approx 5 yrds North West of Ye Olde White Harte

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (South-west side)
SO 8483-8583
15/90 Annexe approx. 5 yards
north-west of Ye Olde White
Public house annexe. Probably C15 or C16 in origin but remodelled and
partly rebuilt in the C17. Timber framed with brick rebuilding, painted
white; plain tile roof. 2 storeys with first floor band; 2 gabled bays
with C19 wood mullioned and transomed windows, the first floor windows have
segmental heads. Exposed queen strut roof truss to the left hand gable.
To the rear is exposed timber framing of large rectangular panels.
Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SO8454283356


47 High St ( Formerly listed as Midlands Bank Ltd premises )

SO 8483-8583
15/88 No. 47 (formerly listed
as Midland Bank Ltd Premises)
House incorporating shop. Late C17 with external remodelling of the early
C19, and further alterations of the early C20 and later. Timber framed
with brick infill, now roughcast to the front; plain tile roof; brick
integral end stack and internal lateral stack to the rear. 3-framed
bays; rear wing added in the C19 to form an L-shape. 2 storeys and
rear-lit attic. 3 windows, C19 casements to first floor and to ground
floor, left; the former have leaded panes; early C19 bow window to ground
floor right; early C20 shop front to ground floor centre, incorporating
a glazed door. Early C19 six-panel door to right of centre, boarded door
to left of centre, garage doors to left. Rear: exposed timber framing
partly obscured by C20 ground floor extensions. Rectangular or square
panels of unequal size with straight or curved braces. Interior: much
exposed timber framing; stopped and chamfered ceiling beams; 4 late C17
roof trusses.
Listing NGR: SO8452983424


28 & 29 High St ( formerly listed as The Pharmacy )

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (north-east side)
SO 8483-8583
15/85 Nos 28 & 29 (formerly listed
as The Pharmacy, No 28 and
No 29)
House, now incorporating a pair of shops. Early to mid-C18 with mid to late C19
alterations to the ground floor. Red brick; plain tile roof with raised verges;
brick ridge stack and integral end stack. 2 storeys with parapet cornice and
plain coped parapet. 2:2:2 bays, central pedimented break with keyed occulus in
the pediment; the first floor has glazing bar sashes with decorative plaster
lintels and reeded keys. A pair of glazing bar sashes with semi-circular heads
springing from imposts, flanks a central 6-panel door approached by a short flight
of steps. This has engaged columns with palmette capitals, pediment and a rec-
tangular overlight with patterned glazing bars. A pair of 5-bay Victorian shop
fronts flank this centre piece; they have console brackets, central recessed
doors, and window lights with semi-circular heads. Interior: The front door
opens to the entrance hall which has decorative plaster walls of large panels
with egg and dart moulded surrounds and a moulded cornice. Fireplace with
scrolled frieze and dentilled mantelpiece. The other front rooms (2 on the
ground floor and three on the first floor each have a decorative plaster cornice.
Early C19 dog leg staircase with stick balusters and carved open string. Several
C18 panelled doors.
Listing NGR: SO8460083345


18, 19 & 20 High St

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (North-west side)
SO 8483-8583
15/83 Nos. 18, 19 & 20
Row of houses, possibly one originally. C17 with early C18 additions.
Timber framed, partly rebuilt in brick; painted brick additions; plain
tile roof with raised verge to right; brick ridge stacks. 2-framed bay
range to the north-east, extended to the south-west in the C18. 2 storeys;
timber framed range to the left (Nos. 19 and 20) with brick ground floor wall,
and 3 square panels from first floor to eaves with straight braces. 2
windows, casements, and 2 boarded doors with rectangular overlights. Brick
extension to the right with storey band and dentilled eaves band and 2-storey
gabled porch to the left hand end; 1:3 windows, casements, those to porch
and to ground floor have segmental heads; C19 double door to porch with
rectangular overlight beneath a segmental arch, porch openings have brick
dripstone bands. Large garage doors to right. Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO8466983289

17 High St

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (North-east side)
SO 8482-8582
15/82 No. 17
Cottage. C17, restored mid to late C20. Timber framed with some re-
building in brick; plain tile roof with raised verge to right; brick
ridge stack and integral end stacks. 3 framed bays. 2 storeys, ground
storey has tall rectangular panels (formerly closely spaced studs), first
floor has 3 small square panels to eaves. 3 windows, C20 wood mullioned,
the ground floor windows project on brackets. Carriageway to the right,
C20 door to the left.
Listing NGR: SO8467983285

123 & 124 High St

KINVER C.P. HIGH STREET (South-west side)
SO 8483-8583
15/91 Nos 123 and 124
Pair of houses. Early C18. Red brick; plain tile roof with Flemish
gables; rendered central stack. 2 storeys and attic with dentilled eaves
bands; 3 windows, C20 casements in C18 openings with segmental-headed door
to the right (No. 123) giving access to an alleyway from which the house was
entered; door to left with straight head and flat hood. Interior not
Listing NGR: SO8466083273


112 High St

25-JUL-03 (South side)
Late-C16 house of timber-framed construction with plain clay tile roof, re-fenestrated and extended in late-C18 and C19.
PLAN: Original building comprises 1 room to front with smaller room behind, front probably originally jettied on first floor and underbuilt when late-C19 shop-front inserted; original smaller room slightly extended to rear with chimney breast; further two-bay late-C18 and C19 extension to rear.
EXTERIOR: The building is gable-fronted to the street, on 2 storeys with roughcast and rendered walls to the original section which has a steep-pitched clay tile roof, now asymmetrical, apparently as the result of the demolition of an attached structure directly to the east; painted brick with clay tile roofs to the C18/C19 addition. Front elevation has late-C19 shop-front with large windows flanking central half-glazed door with rectangular overlight; late-C20 fascia applied over original moulded fascia; first floor has lead-roofed canted bay window with plate glass sashes divided by decorative pilasters and with moulded brackets to the cornice. Left return has flush 4-panel door towards rear of original section and a 2-light mullioned window to the staircase. C19 casement windows to single bay C18/C19 additions, each slightly lower, with half-dormer. Right return, visible above rear catslide roofslope and conservatory of The Old White Hart, has two 4-paned sash windows on the first floor.
INTERIOR: Close-studded timber frame exposed to right wall of front room, with deeply chamfered cross and spine beams and heavily jowled corner post. Close studding continues to small room behind, also with chamfered cross beam and corner post to rear with redundant mortices facing into room. Staircase has ground to first-floor flight remodelled in late-C20 but retains stick balusters, moulded handrail and ball finials to newels on first floor; cupboard above balustrade on landing has panelled door with butterfly hinges leading to former continuation of staircase to inaccessible attic, although the base of a principal rafter and a curved windbrace are visible on landing. Position of original back wall of rear room on first floor indicated by beam with empty mortices to underside and corner post with redundant mortices like that in room directly below; extension of this room to rear has large chimney breast with moulded surround to infilled fireplace. Front room has 4-panel door to cupboard area. Substantially planked door with strap-hinges to outside wall of landing (bricked behind) clearly gave access to now-demolished building to east.
HISTORY: The White Hart is known to have existed by 1605. No.112 and The Old White Hart do not communicate internally, but an examination of the roof structures of both buildings might elucidate the relationship between the two.






Kinver Past & Present © 2016